Worker Dies After Using Lawnmower for Warmth
A 21-year-old worker died from carbon monoxide poisoning after starting a lawn mower in the back of a truck for warmth.
Jorge Perez and his younger cousin were cold after spending several hours doing landscape work outside a church in the Bronx, NY. The two workers were found unresponsive when the truck reached Queens, NY. The lawnmower was still running in the confined space.
Perez was pronounced dead in hospital, while his cousin was admitted in critical condition. Perez had moved to New York from Guatemala about three years ago.
Running a fuel-powered heater, generator or other equipment indoors can quickly lead to a fatal buildup of carbon monoxide gas. Workers need to be told that this practice can easily kill.
Info to go: Read more about carbon monoxide poisoning by clicking on the Info to Go safety links here.